New to parenting world? If yes, we know you must be having a hard time figuring out what to pack for children’s lunchboxes or which dishes will suit best to serve for lunch; especially when your little one is a fussy eater.
As a parent, you are more focussed on loading their plates with nutrition and at the same time, make it interesting for kids. But kids have their own ideas about what makes a great meal, and this can be a great challenge for parents.
The trick is to serve food that is colorful, tasty, and nutritious. From veggie pizza to macaroni muffins and avocado wraps, these go a long way and provide all the nutrients and at the same time, can win the heart of your little one.
5 Healthy Lunch Ideas For Kids
We have compiled some healthy lunch recipes for kids that will keep both parents and kids happy. They are loaded with healthy nutrients, but at the same time, these recipes are incredibly delicious and don’t take too much time for preparation.#1. Chicken and Taco Salad – Healthy and Colourful Blend of Nutrients
Indeed, your kid will always run away when you serve him a boring salad. But when Chicken and Taco Salad is on the menu, your kid will run to ask more.
Preparing chicken and taco salad is one of the easiest lunch ideas for your kids, and it will definitely get quick approval from your little packet. This is a perfect lunch idea if you want to serve some variety on your kids’ plate.
Also, this recipe is a saver, if you have a long day ahead and no time for serving elaborate meals. Just mix all the ingredients, and Woah, you are done!
Preparation Time: 10 to 15 Minutes.
● 2 Cups Lettuce, Shredded;
● 2 Tomatoes, Chopped;
● 50g Corn, Drained;
● 2 cups chicken, cooked and shredded;
● 1 Avocado, chopped;
● 1 Cup Kidney or black beans or a mixture of both;
● 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded;
● 1 Corn taco shell, broken into small pieces;
● ¼ tablespoon olive oil;
● 2 tablespoon soured cream;
● 1 tablespoon Lemon juice.
1. Mix olive oil and sour cream to prepare the dressing.
2. Take a container and mix lettuce, sweet corn, tomatoes, and chicken.
3. Stir lemon juice and avocado together and put this on top of other ingredients.
4. Mix all the ingredients together and pour olive oil and a sour cream topping over it.
5. Scatter taco pieces over the salad and serve.
#2. Hummus and Avocado Wrap – Good for Vegan Eaters
These vegan avocado hummus wraps are just perfect if you are planning to use some leftovers and put them all together with an ideal mix of vegan cream cheese or hummus. For a packed lunch, wrap them in cling film and twist them shut to avoid spillage in school bags.
Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
● 1 Tortilla;
● 3 Tablespoon Hummus or Vegan cream cheese;
● ½ avocado sliced thin or chopped;
● ¼ cup of sprouts;
● Few leaves of green lettuce;
● 3 tomato slices.
1. Gather all the ingredients. If tortilla was in the refrigerator, bring it down to room temperature.
2. Take hummus and spread it at the center of a tortilla. Instead of hummus, you can also spread vegan cream cheese. (But for a healthy diet, hummus is recommended)
3. Place a lettuce leaf and then arrange avocado, sprouts, tomatoes on top of it. You can also put a slice or two of cucumber.
4. Wrap it up for a quick healthy vegan wrap.
5. Serve and enjoy.
#3. Rice Salad – Vegan Food Packed With All Nutrients
Try this vegan, gluten-free, and nutritious meal made with brown rice that is sweet and sour. This recipe is a fantastic mix of flavors and textures, and kids love it because of its crunchy texture. This Healthy Kid-Friendly Meal is just perfect if you are looking to utilize some leftover rice.
Preparation Time: 25 Minutes
● 2 tablespoon peanut oil or olive oil;
● 4 cups cooked brown rice;
● 1 carrot, diced;
● ½ cup snow peas, chopped;
● 1 stalk celery;
● ½ red or yellow bell pepper, chopped;
● Green onions, chopped;
● ½ tablespoon black pepper;
● 1 tablespoon sugar.
1. Gather all the ingredients.
2. Take a small bowl and mix oil salt, black pepper, and sugar. Mix till the sugar dissolves.
3. Pour this mixture over brown rice in a large mixing bowl, toss all the ingredients gently.
4. Stem the diced carrots, peas for few minutes till they turn soft. Drain them and stir these vegetables into rice.
5. Add the remaining ingredients in this mixture. Toss and distribute vegetables evenly throughout the rice.
6. Serve the salad and top it with parsley, if you want.
Pro Tip: We know kids get bored quickly if you repeat dishes, so to keep your kid’s tummy full of healthy food, you can replace brown rice with noodles, quinoa, or any other favorite grains of their choice. This will keep this dish forever interesting for your kids.
#4. Pizza Pockets – Kids all Time Favourite
When looking for an impressive healthy meal recipe for weekend lunch that will make your kid super excited, try out these delicious and kids’ all-time favorite Pizza Pockets. This recipe is easy to make, and it controls your kid’s craving for eating outside junk.
These pockets require minimum ingredients and can be served with salad or a bowl of hot soup.
Preparation Time: 35 Minutes
● 8 Pillsbury Grands biscuits;
● ½ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded;
● ½ cup sliced pepperoni;
● ½ cup olives, chopped;
● ½ cup bell pepper, finely chopped;
● ½ tablespoon olive oil;
● Pizza sauce (you can also prepare this at home with the recipe given below).
How To Prepare Homemade Pizza Sauce
Ingredients for Pizza Sauce:
● 1 love garlic, minced;
● 1 tablespoon kosher salt;
● 1 can tomato paste;
● 1 can tomato sauce;
● Black pepper to taste;
● ½ tablespoon oregano.
For Homemade Pizza Sauce:
1. In a small saucepan, combine garlic, kosher salt, tomato paste, tomato sauce, oregano, and black pepper. Add olive oil to this mixture.
2. On a simmer flame, stir all the ingredients for 2 – 3 minutes.
3. Cool the sauce and you are done. This mixture can be refrigerated and used for up to 3 days.
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. Roll each biscuit on a lightly floured surface.
4. On each round, spread around 2 tablespoons of pizza sauce in the center.
5. Next place the olives, bell peppers on top of the sauce. Top it with 1 tablespoon of shredded pizza cheese.
6. Moisten the edges of this round with a little water, fold over and press all the edges firmly to seal.
7. Place these pockets on a baking sheet and prick with a toothpick to let the steam escape.
8. Bake these pockets for 15 minutes.
9. Serve hot with pizza sauce on the side.
#5. Strawberry Spinach Salad – Healthy and Colourful
This simple salad can come handy to satisfy the midday food craving of your kids. It is absolutely easy to prepare and can be made several hours before serving.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
● 2 Bowls fresh spinach washed and dried;
● 1 cup strawberries, cut into pieces;
● ¼ cup sliced almonds;
● 1 tablespoon sesame seeds;
● 1 tablespoon olive oil.
Just mix all the ingredients and mix properly, and the healthy salad is ready to serve.
We hope these recipes will come in handy and save you big-time from elaborate meal preparations with negligible nutritional value. With these healthy lunch options for your kids, you no more have to worry about the deadly combination of healthy and tasty.