In this article, I’m going to go into what I feel are the 10 BEST Lightweight Strollers for 2018. But first – a little background and a few reasons why you may be needing a lightweight stroller.
A full blown travel system stroller can be a bit too cumbersome for certain situations. While it does offer a lot of features and comfort – both for the occupant and the parent, you just cannot ignore the fact it’s heavy and bulky.
It cannot be taken on an airplane (or trains and buses), which means that it needs to be checked in with the main baggage.
What’s the point of having a stroller if you can’t use it after check-in and have to carry the baby around in your arms?
That’s not the end of it – all that excess weight means that you’ll have to keep coughing up extra cash every time you travel.
After a couple of trips, you’ll have spent more money on transporting the stroller than its actual cost.
In short, a full sized stroller just doesn’t make even an ounce of sense for travel and even short outings.
Umbrella strollers fall on the other end of the spectrum. While they are very light and easy to use, they are a bit too simple. Their small wheels are difficult to steer and they lack even basic features like a proper harness and storage area.
So – let’s get to the reason you’re here and talk about the well rounded ‘light stroller’.
Table of Contents
- 1 10 Best Lightweight Strollers for 2018
- 1.1 1) Chicco Liteway Compact-Fold Aluminum Stroller:
- 1.2 2) Summer Infant 3D Lite Convenience Stroller:
- 1.3 3) Pockit Lightweight Stroller:
- 1.4 4) Summer Infant 3D Lite Convenience Stroller:
- 1.5 5) Summer Infant 3D-One Convenience Stroller:
- 1.6 6) Kolcraft Cloud Plus Lightweight Stroller:
- 1.7 7) J is for Jeep Brand North Star Stroller:
- 1.8 8) Kolcraft Cloud Plus Lightweight Stroller:
- 1.9 9) Baby Trend Rocket Lightweight Stroller:
- 1.10 10) JOOVY New Groove Ultralight Umbrella Stroller:
- 1.11 Related
10 Best Lightweight Strollers for 2018
I’ve come up with a list of lightweight strollers that also pack some of the advanced features of full-size models.
1) Chicco Liteway Compact-Fold Aluminum Stroller:
This stroller has an aluminum frame (Fun Fact: Airplanes are made up of Aluminum because the metal is durable yet very light). It weights a very manageable 18.8 pounds and can carry a baby weighing 40 pounds or less. If you’re looking for a stroller that is well-designed, reliable, feature-loaded as well as light, nothing comes close to the Liteway by Chicco.
1) This model was specially manufactured for short outings and getaways. It is travel friendly owing to its compact dimensions and one-hand 3D fold mechanism. The stroller also has an automatic storage latch and a smart carry handle.
2) Most umbrella/ultralight strollers have a very uncomfortable seat. The Liteway’s seating features a good amount of padding and also an adjustable footrest for extra support and comfort.
3) The backrest has 4 recline positions. It can be adjusted with just one hand – The adjustable footrest and backseat make this stroller suitable for growing children.
4) The removable, adjustable canopy protects the occupant from the Sun. Peek-a-boo window enables the parent to keep a close watch on the child.
5) Storage is a bit of a problem with very light strollers but it does not really solve the problem. True, you have a light stroller but there’s nowhere to put stuff so you end up lugging a big bag of supplies. The Chicco Liteway has a smart storage basket with automatic latch and a cup-holder for the caregiver.
6) The handles are foam padded for better grip. The stroller has optional swivel front wheels and rear-wheel suspension for a smooth ride over various surfaces. Convenient toe-tap brake keeps the Liteway in place over inclines.
7) Excellent build quality and a cool, contemporary design. 5 point harness with padded shoulder pads help to keep the child secure.
I’ll be 100% honest, I tried to find cons for this stroller, but simple couldn’t. It’s my #1 Choice for Lightweight Strollers for a reason. As a lightweight stroller, the Chicco is near perfect. (Though, A child-feeding tray would have been nice)
- The Liteway is durable, comfortable and easy-to-use. All adjust and folding mechanisms work flawlessly.
- Yes, it’s a bit expensive but totally worth the price.
- Chicco is a well established brand and if their customer happens to experience niggles with their product, they’re usually fixed quickly.
Everything about this stroller is well thought-out. For example: Many lightweight strollers have very low handles and hence, the parent needs to bend forward while pushing/steering. This is not the case with the Liteway, thanks to good ergonomics.
2) Summer Infant 3D Lite Convenience Stroller:
Rounding up #2 on our list is the Summer Infant 3d Lite Convenience Stroller. This badboy weights just 15.87 pounds. It features an airlight aluminum frame – it’s light enough to be pushed and carried with ease and strong enough to last a long time.
1) Can accommodate up to 50 pounds. This is the right choice for growing kids.
2) The actual stroller is not bulky but it has a large seat with a 5 point safety harness and 4-position recline for added comfort. (Usually, umbrella strollers have a 3-point harness and this makes them unsuitable for children who cannot sit up on their own)
3) The canopy provides shade against Sunlight. It is adjustable, removable and comes with a large pop-out sun visor.
4) The 6 inch wheels provide a decent ride. The anti-shock with front wheels prevent sudden jerks – optional swivel feature makes steering easy. Rear wheels are lockable.
5) The 3D Lite has plenty of storage area. There’s a large basket that can be accessed from the rear as well as a hook-n-loop pocket for smaller stuff like keys, phone etc. The caregiver also gets a cup-holder.
6) The stroller has a compact, 3-step fold with automatic lock and a carry strap for convenience on the go!
7) Very efficient after sales support system. Customer service is very responsive. Quality-related issues are very rare and the company sorts them out in a jiffy.
1) The 3D Lite does not stand up on its own.
2) Ships only within the USA. You cannot buy this stroller if you’re located outside the USA.
3) Not ideal for taller children.
The Summer Infant 3D Lite is one of the best-selling lightweight strollers in the country and it’s easy to see why. It’s a high quality unit with loads of features and a sensible price tag. It keeps both the child and the parent happy!
3) Pockit Lightweight Stroller:
Mind you, that’s not just a manufacturer claim, it’s been verified by Guinness World Records (2014).
The Pockit weighs just 9.5 pounds and its folded dimensions are 11.8 x 7 x 13.8 inches!
Don’t mistake this stroller to be flimsy though, it can hold up to a whopping 55 pounds in the seat plus 11 pounds in the storage compartment. This lightweight stroller is simply unbeatable in terms of convenience, durability and comfort and hence, it’s the preferred choice for thousands of parents despite its high price tag.
1) Innovative two-step folding mechanism accounts for a very compact fold. The stroller is not fiddly and can be folded/unfolded within a matter of seconds.
2) This stroller takes the term travel-friendly to a whole new level. Forget car boots, it even fits into the overhead compartments of most airplanes. It’s fairly tall when unfolded – making it easy to push without the need to hunch forward (height is 39.8 inches).
3) It’s small but very resilient. It can take a total payload (child plus supplies) of up to 66 pounds.
4) The Pockit has a 5 point safety harness with shoulder and crotch padding for superior comfort and a cosy fit.
5) Exceptional fit and finish. This stroller will stand the test of time and the fact that it can hold up to 55 pounds means that it’s great for growing children. So even though the price Is high, you’ll get a phenomenal return on your investment. The sliding back panel can be tweaked to suit the torso length of the child.
6) The padded handlebars ensure a good grip. There’s a sun canopy and a also a storage basket for supplies (holds up to 11 pounds).
7) Lockable front swivel wheels make the stroller easy to steer. Rear wheels have a parking brake for stability across various types of surfaces. The wheels are not very large but they are well engineered. This means that you can use this stroller on a variety of surfaces. Families have taken the stroller to Europe and it worked just fine on the cobbled streets of Italy. Note: While it can handle occasional bumpy surfaces, this stroller is definitely not meant for off-roading.
8) International shipping is available to select countries.
1) The ONLY Reason this is not higher on my list is because of the price. It’s Expensive, about 2x the cost of most Lightweight Strollers on this list. BUT – sometimes you pay for a premium 🙂
2) The overhead canopy is rather small.
3) Seats do not recline. Also, a cup holder would have been nice.
The Pockit by GB misses out on essential features like recline adjustment. However, it is very light, very strong and folds very compactly. This is a one-of-a-kind stroller made for families who are passionate about traveling and exploring. The Pockit does have room for improvement but even then, its design is leaps and bounds ahead of other lightweight strollers. The GB Pockit was conferred with the Red Dot Award and the IF Gold Award in 2016.
4) Summer Infant 3D Lite Convenience Stroller:
This stroller is suitable for children over 6 months old and weighing up to 50 pounds. Thanks to a lightweight yet rugged aluminum frame, the 3D lite weighs just 14.99 pounds. Let us find out what makes this stroller one of the most sought after models in the USA.
1) There’s simply no getting away from the fact that the 3D lite looks crazy good, especially in this tropical green which also helps to improve visibility at night.
2) The padded seating area is large and comes with a 5 point safety harness. The seats can be adjusted to 4 positions and reclines almost fully flat (150 degrees to be exact). This is perfect if your child wishes to take a nap after a long walk or tiring play session.
3) The anti-shock front wheels and lockable rear wheels make pushing, steering and parking a breeze.
4) Not only is this stroller lightweight, but it has oodles of practicality too! The roomy storage basket is perfect for toys and other supplies while the additional storage pouch can be used to hold keys, treats and change. There’s also a cup holder to hold your drink so that you can focus on maneuvering the stroller.
5) The overhead canopy is not just for show – it is quite large and has a flip out visor to help shade the baby against 99.9% of harmful rays. The canopy is fully removable and adjustable.
6) The stroller is easy to fold. It locks automatically once folded and comes with a very handy carry strap.
7) The handles are pretty high (at over 40 inches). Hence, even a taller caregiver can push it without having to hunch forward.
8) This is a proven product. Summer Infant is a well established, popular brand with a solid after-sales backup.
1) Awkward ergonomic position for taller children
2) International shipping is not available.
The Summer Infant 3D lite Convenience hits the sweet spot owing to its affordable price, long list of features, high quality of construction and strong brand value.
5) Summer Infant 3D-One Convenience Stroller:
Weighing in at just 16 pounds, the 3D One by Summer Infant is one hell of a lightweight stroller. The list of features is really long, so let me begin right away
1) Stroller is equipped with 1 hand, 3 position seat recline. The baby can sit up if it wants to look out and learn about its surroundings or simply go to sleep in the roomy and comfy seat.
2) The five-point safety harness with easy pop-buckle ensures a cosy fit and secure ride even over bumpy surfaces. The adjustable footrest helps baby to relax and enables the stroller to accommodate kids of various sizes.
3) The adjustable canopy with extendable sun visor looks quite catchy and blocks out 99.9% of the harmful UVA and UVB rays.
4) Summer Infant is one of the most popular stroller brands in the country. They have a great after-sales team and their products are generally very reliable and sturdy.
5) Large storage basket that’s easily accessible from the rear. Parents also get a separate storage pouch and one cup holder. These thoughtful touches add make the strolling experience enjoyable. The parent can focus on the child instead of carrying a heavy bag and fiddling with their drink, smartphone, keys etc.
6) The stroller is easy to push thanks to its smooth-glide wheels, comfort-grip and heat resistant foam-padded handles.
7) One hand standing fold with automatic lock and carry strap is a really useful addition.
1) Crotch strap is not adjustable and hence, inconvenient for taller children.
2) Non-availability of international shipping.
All-in-all, The Summer Infant 3D-One Convenience Stroller is certified Frustration-Free! Its large canopy is a blessing on hot sunny days. It fits almost anywhere and is easy to maneuver as long as you use it over reasonable surfaces.
6) Kolcraft Cloud Plus Lightweight Stroller:
I was wondering why this stroller is called the Cloud until I realized that just like a real cloud, this one is incredibly light and does a wonderful job of blocking the bright Sun! It is a real mystery how Kolcraft has managed to pack so many features into a stroller that weighs just 11.8 pounds.
1) The Kolcraft Cloud Plus was born for traveling and day-trips. This stroller loves to be outdoors but also works quite well at the shopping mall.
2) The large three-tier extendable canopy keeps the Sun out and keeps the baby cool. It’s clever design and high quality fabrics provided maximum protection against ultraviolet rays.
3) Folds easily with one and stands on its own. No drama whatsoever! Also, this workhorse can accommodate up to 50 pounds, which is more than 4 times its own weight! Impressive.
4) The multi-position reclining seat with a 5 point safety harness keeps baby safe and comfortable at all times.
5) The stroller comes with a removable child tray with dual cup and juice box holder. This helps to make feeding easy. This is a really useful feature that’s often missing even on the top end models.
6) The Cloud Plus has some goodies for parents too. There’s a roomy storage basket for toys and other baby supplies plus a parent tray with two cup-holders and a small storage area.
7) One year manufacturer warranty protects the buyer against unexpected breakdowns and defects.
1) The front wheels need to be perfectly aligned when folding the stroller. Often, the caregiver has to manually adjust the wheels
2) The wheels do not offer much tread.
Overall, The Kolcraft Cloud Plus is great for vacations, for public transportation or simply for traveling light. You can just keep it in the car and use flip it open whenever required. Does not occupy much space and does everything that a good lightweight stroller should. Overall quality of construction could have been better but it’s in line with the pricing. 1 Year warranty tilts the balance in favor of this stroller.
7) J is for Jeep Brand North Star Stroller:
At just 10 pounds, the North Star is the definition of a ‘lightweight stroller. It’s a godsend for families who already have a primary stroller and are looking for something cheap and easy to use for short outings and travel.
1) The stroller holds up to 40 pounds. The seating offers good calf support and the footrest makes the ride pleasant and relaxing. On very hot days, parents can roll up the back-padding to expose a mesh layer. The folded-up padding acts a comfy headrest while the mesh improves air-circulation and keeps the child cool.
2) Ultralight strollers such as this one usually have very low handles. This is very uncomfortable for the caregiven, who needs to bend forward in order to steer the stroller. The North Star however, stands tall at 42 inches. This, along with the front swivel wheels and extra long foam handles make it easy to maneuver.
3) 5 1/2 inch front and back wheels with front suspension account for a smoother ride. Most strollers in this weight and price bracket have no suspension at all!
4) The extendable canopy works reasonably well and blocks out most of the Sun. Three point harness keeps the child secure.
5) Large storage area and compact umbrella folding mechanism add to the desirability factor of this stroller.
6) Limited 90-day manufacturer warranty, JPMA certified. Meets or exceeds all CPSC and ASTM safety regulations.
1) The seat does not recline. Your child cannot go to sleep in the upright position.
2) The safety harness does not include shoulder straps.
3) Available only in the 48 contiguous states of USA.
Over all it’s a great stroller! The unique selling point of this stroller is that it weighs just 10 pounds while still offering a handful of features. It’s not perfect but it’s affordable, practical and fairly durable.
8) Kolcraft Cloud Plus Lightweight Stroller:
Weighing in at just 11.8 pounds, this stroller offers a good balance of style, convenience and comfort. The highly competitive price is like icing on a cake. Also, it looks quite fabulous in this eye-catching fire red.
1) The stroller can hold a child weighing up to 50 pounds plus a few pounds of supplies.
2) The large, three-tier removable canopy shields the baby from harmful UV rays. Peek-a-boo window keeps child entertained and enables the caregiver to check in on the baby from time to time.
3) Very suitable for travel and even when using public transportation. Folds compactly with just one hand and even stands on its own.
4) Multi-position seat recline and 5 point safety harness hold the baby in place securely even on bumpy surfaces. Often, kids may tend to lean forward when asleep. The shoulder straps prevent the baby from leaning too forward and falling out.
5) The stroller comes with a removable child-tray to facilitate easy feeding. Parents also get a separate storage tray with two cup holders. There’s a decent sized storage basket underneath the seat for kids’ supplies.
6) The Cloud Plus is JPMA certified and comes with a 1 year manufacturer warranty.
1) You have to align the wheels perfectly when folding. This is tricky and may require some manual adjustment. Also, the wheels do not offer much traction.
2) Cup holders are a bit too small.
3) No international shipping.
The Kolcraft Cloud Plus is portable, maneuverable and comfortable. In short, it’s everything that a good lightweight stroller should be. Does have a couple of small set backs here and there but no deal breakers. Kolcraft is high committed to customer satisfaction and this is evident thanks to the 1 year warranty and lots of positive feedback from happy customers.
9) Baby Trend Rocket Lightweight Stroller:
This stroller weighs 12.5 pounds and can accommodate a kid weighing 50 pounds or less and up to 40 inches tall. It has almost all of the features of a full size stroller. If this stroller would’ve been compatible with infant seats, it would have sent most travel systems packing (pun intended)! It’s priced really well too.
1) Reclining seat with 5 point safety harness
2) The large shade canopy protects baby from the blazing summer Sun
3) Ergonomic handles with comfort grip and a foot activated dual brake make the stroller easy to steer and park. The handles are tall (40 inches) and hence the caregiver does not have to remain bent forward while pushing the stroller.
4) Comes with a large storage basket and parent tray with dual cup holders.
5) Easy to assemble. Folds quickly and compactly.
The Rocket is only suitable for children who can sit up unassisted. Plus, it has its share of squeaks and rattles depending upon how it’s used. Cannot be shipped internationally.
On the whole, this is a great effort by Baby Trend. They have considered the needs of both the baby and the parents but some cost cutting is fairly obvious. Still, this is great package considering the price.
10) JOOVY New Groove Ultralight Umbrella Stroller:
At 15.7 pounds, this stroller is not exactly ultralight. However, it does accommodate up to 55 pounds and has a few more tricks up its sleeve. Let us delve a bit deeper and find out if it’s the right one for you.
1) Suitable for newborn babies as well (bassinet mode). Multi-position seat reclines almost completely flat.
2) The stroller has an adjustable UPF 50 Sun canopy plus a peek-a-boo window.
3) Sturdy and lightweight aluminum frame with nice, tall handles (42+ inches). The caregiver does not have to remain hunched forward while pushing the stroller.
4) The stroller has reflective material on all four sides to improve visibility at night.
5) Improved wheels with a 4 wheel suspension ensure a smooth and pliant ride.
6) Large storage basket with a separate storage pouch plus two cup holders for parents.
7) The stroller uses high qualty, water resistant fabrics.
8) Has a smart carry strap for easy transportation and storage.
1) Heavier than most other models and also a bit bulky. Folded dimensions are 43.5 x 14 x 10 inches.
3) Folding mechanism is fiddly.
The JOOVY New Groove Ultralight Umbrella Stroller has a lot of things going for it. It’s well built and laden with convenient features. It’s not the easiest to fold but to it’s credit, it does stand up on its own once folded.
So, which one did you choose?
Please share your thoughts and insights in the comments section below so that others may benefit from your experiences. I hope you enjoyed reading this article and are now well equipped for the upcoming family vacation.