Baby Jogger City Mini GT Double Stroller Review
Practical, Well-Built, Customizable and Astonishing value for money – the Baby Jogger City Mini GT Double is one hell of a stroller. It’s no surprise then, that it’s also one of the most popular double strollers in the country.
The City Mini GT Double Stroller weighs in at 32.5 pounds and can carry two children weighing up to 50 pounds each. The newer, plush seats have a combined maximum carrying capacity of 100 lbs and you can add a few more pounds of luggage in the storage compartment.
The seats are in a tandem (side-by-side) arrangement – this has its pros and cons.
- The good thing about a tandem seat configuration is that both kids get a good view to observe their surroundings. It makes both kids feel equally hmm... important.
- The bad thing is that the stroller becomes a bit too wide and does not maneuver easily.
We’re happy to report that the City Mini GT is way less bulkier than your average double stroller. With a width of 30 inches, it fits through a standard doorway with ease.
Baby Jogger City Mini GT Double Stroller Features:
- Converts Into A Travel System: The City Mini GT accepts an infant car seat to form a travel system. It’s fairly easy to install the adapters and the car seat. Baby Jogger has removed all the guess work out of the equation and has dedicated, easy-to-follow videos on how to install the car seat. Who reads stroller manuals anyway? (Well, we sometimes do so that you don’t have to!)
The fact that it’s compatible with several makes and models of car seats makes the City Mini GT usable from birth. However, there’s a problem – it accepts only 1 infant car seat (instead of 2, side-by-side). This is OK if you have one infant and one toddler but what about traveling with two infants or newborn twins?
On the plus side, if you’re riding with only one infant, the car seat can be attached in the middle for better weight distribution. It slides quickly and locks in place without the parent having to fiddle too much.
- Very Easy To Assemble: Just attach the four wheels and you’re ready to go. No toolbox required.
- Forever Air All-Terrain Wheels: The four 8.5 inch wheels are just the right size – not too small, not too big, perfect for use in the city with occasional trips to the beach or countryside.
Usually, the strollers that come with all-terrain wheels have pneumatic tires. These require their fair share of maintenance and tinkering around. You have to make sure that they air pressure is good enough and use a pump from time to time.
As it is, having two kids is a full time job and many parents cannot be bothered by wheel maintenance on top that. This is precisely why the forever air tires is a genius idea!
The two front wheels swivel for easy maneuvering and can be locked for straight strolling. Another noteworthy feature of the City Mini GT is the front suspension, which aids in providing a smoother ride even on rocky terrain.
We’d have LOVED all wheel suspension but we believe that this stroller will be used on city roads 80% to 90% of the time so it’s good enough, in our opinion.
- Height-Adjustable Handlebar: This is great as the stroller can be used by people of varying heights without experiencing discomfort. Non-adjustable handlebars are OK for short strolls but on full-day excursions, they can take a toll on the back.
The handle itself is nice and wide; the stroller feels light and the hand operated brake is convenient and reassuring. It gives the parent more control when strolling on hills and slopes.
- Padded Seats with Multi-position Recline and retractable weather covers fall almost flat. Each seat reclines independently allowing one kid to sit up and look around while the other one takes a siesta.
The fully adjustable 5-point safety harnesses have padded shoulder pads and buckle covers, they’re fairly comfy. The seat tops have vents for air circulation.
There’s a storage basket under the seat and the seat backs also have some extra storage room. The basket is medium sized and it can be accessed only from the back of the stroller.
- UV 50+ Sun Canopies keep the elements out and have peek-a-boo windows if the parents wish to take a quite look at their kids.
- Quick Fold Technology with Automatic Lock helps parents/caregivers to fold the stroller in a jiffy. It’s not a one hand fold but let’s not forget that this is a double stroller! (On many platforms, it says one-hand fold but that’s not true. Watch the video on Amazon if you’re in any doubt).
- Converts into a travel system. The infant car seat attaches onto the frame in a rear facing arrangement. This helps babies to feel secure as they can see their parents at all times.
- All terrain forever wheels with dual front swivel lock and handbrake are what give this stroller an edge over other 4-wheel double strollers
- Height adjustable handlebar
- This is a proven model with hundreds of rave reviews. You cannot go wrong with it
- The build quality is really good
- Loads of Baby Jogger accessories help parents to tweak the stroller according to their preferences. There’s also am optional glider board for a third child
- Does not accept two infant car seats.
- Not even basic accessories such as a parent console, child trays etc are part of the standard stroller. Everything needs to be purchased separately.
- It’s not a performance oriented or jogging stroller. Baby Jogger has the Summit X3 (double and single) for that.
The Baby Jogger City Mini GT double has almost everything that’s desirable in an urban double stroller. It’s great value for money as it’s very durable. We recommend it.
Buy it from Amazon with the link below, or read more of their 4.3 star reviews here!
SNUGBABY SCORE: 90/100