Baby Jogger City Mini GT2 Stroller Review
In this post, we share our review of the Baby Jogger City Mini GT2 (the 2019 version). We share our pros & cons, and of course a few alternatives...
Founded in 1984, Baby Jogger is a leading manufacturer of strollers and accessories. It’s one of the few brands, which, instead of just throwing out a ton of over-hyped generic products, puts a lot of thought into development and design.
We have taken a moment to assess their product line-up and it’s absolutely clear that Baby Jogger has taken the trouble to know who their customers are and what exactly they want.
Baby Jogger already has the City Mini 2, and it's near perfect for urban/city use. However, it has a couple of problems – its tires are not good off road. Other manufacturers do offer stroller with bicycle tires but those are a pain to maintain.
So Baby Jogger has come up with ‘forever air’ all terrain wheels on the Baby Jogger City Mini GT2. These can handle any surface and are 100% maintenance free!
However, Baby Jogger also knows that a good percentage of parents do not need all terrain wheels and all wheel suspension. So, instead of forcing these things onto everybody and making them pay extra for it, Baby Jogger has created a Grand Touring version of the City Mini 2 for those parents who want a little extra.
By doing this, they’ve managed to kill not just two, but three birds with one stone.
1) They’ve managed to keep prices low for people who merely want an agile urban stroller (City Mini)
2) They’ve created a niche, lifestyle product for people who like going out for picnics/outings to the beach or the countryside. (Or for those who dwell in rural/semi-rural areas)
3) They’ve forever solved the headache of pumping air into tires. Parents never have to worry about flat tires any more!
By the way, this three-wheeled stroller is called the City Mini GT2 because this is the most recent fully updated version.
Baby Jogger City Mini GT2 Features:
- Converts Into A Travel System Stroller: The stroller can be used in three modes: as a toddler stroller, with an infant car seat or with a bassinet. The adapters for the City GO infant car seat are included with the stroller. The car seat itself though, needs to be purchased separately.
Accessories such as the bassinet too, are optional extras.
- Punches Above It’s Weight: Despite being a full size stroller, the GT2 weighs a mere 21 pounds. That’s light enough to be carried by just one hand. Don’t underestimate the build quality of this product though – it has a robust frame and can accommodate a child weighing all the way up to 65 pounds.
There’s also a large storage area under the toddler seat. It doesn't sag even when loaded to the brim. This is important as you do not want the underside to graze against rocks or speed-breakers.
- Super Smooth Ride: The all wheel suspension soaks up bumps and provides an almost luxurious and pliant ride. Your baby will surely appreciate it and can nap comfortably while you go about the town running errands.
Infants can get startled by sudden jerks. This is not good for them as they have no neck strength. The all-wheel suspension filters out surface irregularities and aids in creating a sense of security within both the parent and the occupant.
- Creature Comforts: The stroller comes with underside calf support for the occupant. When kids get a little older, their ankles tend to dangle over the seat. This makes them irritable and they refuse to sit still in the stroller for more than a few minutes at a stretch. The auxiliary support solves this problem.
The seat itself comes equipped with a 5-point safety harness with soft padding. The seat can be adjusted to multiple positions and falls almost fully flat, allowing the occupant to sleep soundly if that’s what he/she wants.
- UV50+ Canopy ratchets to keep the Sun and wind out. There are also a couple of magnetic peek-a-boo windows to allow the caregiver to interact and keep an eye on the child.
- Very Easy to Steer: The Stroller is very agile owing to its three-wheel design. It feels planted yet light and handles beautifully even in busy areas. There’s a convenient hand-operated parking brake to keep the stroller parked securely on any surface.
The handle is height adjustable – taller parents will not experience backaches as they can set the handle height to their preference and won’t have to bend forward while pushing the stroller.
- Forever Air Tires: No more boring visits to bicycle shops to fix punctures. No need to buy an air pump. Be fully assured that you will never experience a flat – go anywhere with confidence.
- One Hand Fold: Just pull a strap and the stroller folds almost miraculously – the first time we saw how it’s done, we felt that the stroller was giving off somewhat of a TRANSFORMERS vibe!
The stroller is light and compact. It fits in the back of most cars, including hatchback models such as the VW Golf.
- Very good build quality
- Perfect for those who want to live an active lifestyle
- More padding and better ergonomics than the previous GT model
- Forms a travel system and hence the stroller is usable from birth.
- Available in a number of exciting themes such as Windsor, Ember, Mystic and so on.
- Loads of extra accessories by Baby Jogger. Pick the ones that most suit your lifestyle
- Could have been priced more competitively. Nonetheless, it’s good value for money considering the quality.
- No parent tray, cup holders or child tray (These need to be bought separately). These accessories are pretty standard now-a-days. Excluding them is like selling a car and charging people extra for cup holders.
- Not a dedicated jogging stroller. Since the brand is called Baby Jogger, many people are under the impression that this stroller has been engineered especially for jogging. If you take your jogs very seriously, you might want to look at something like the Thule Glide 2.0
The all-terrain wheels, height-adjustable handle, all-wheel suspension, ease of steering and hand-operated parking brake are what make the Baby Jogger City Mini GT2 stroller really stand out.
Overall, this is a solid stroller and we highly recommend it for people who seek to spend more quality time outdoors with their kids.
If not, then the Mini 2 (non GT version) is also a good choice and it’s also more affordable.
SNUGBABY SCORE: 85/100