In this post, we take a look at the popular The Baby Jogger Summit X3 Double Jogging Stroller and see what all the fuss is about!
Baby Jogger often receives a bit of flak for the fact that a lot of their strollers aren’t suitable for jogging. Baby Joggers doesn’t market them as jogging strollers, but many people are misled by the brand name Baby JOGGER.
The Baby Jogger Summit X3 Double jogging stroller is actually a three wheel stroller built for jogging and offers exceptional performance on all kinds of terrain. It’s air-filled tires can take on any surface and enable parents to lead an active lifestyle.
If you want an amazing stroller that’ll help you stay in shape (shed-off some of the weight gained during the pregnancy, may be?) then this is the one to go for. It has a number of features to make life easier and your outings more enjoyable. We’ll discuss these features in detail below.
Baby Jogger Summit X3 Double Jogging Stroller Features:
The Summit X3 Double has two seats in a tandem or side by side configuration and at 37 pounds, it it’s not exactly heavy either. The stroller can hold two kids weighing up to 50 pounds each and has a maximum payload of 114 lbs.
Can Actually Be Used For Jogging:
The built quality is really premium and the stroller can indeed withstand the pressures of jogging and all-terrain strolling. It’s not one those cheap, rickety models that develop squeaks and rattles after only a month of usage.
All design elements are well thought out. Even though the handlebar does not adjust, there’s enough legroom for jogging. The handlebar grip is not foam (which feels awful with sweaty hands and starts coming off rather quickly) but rubber which offers more traction.
The handbrake is very handy (pun intended) while strolling/jogging on hills.
It’s all these little things that make the Baby Jogger Summit X3 Double a joy to use.
Go Anywhere Attitude:
The front wheel has a diameter of 12 inches while the two rear wheels are 16 inches. Majority of the weight is borne by the rear wheels so that the front wheel can tackle turns with ease.
- The air-filled tires are remarkably impressive on grass, gravel, sand etc. The Summit X3 is one of the few strollers that actually deliver on the ‘all-terrain’ promise. It helps to familiarize kids with the magnificent natural world before they become addicted to smart phones, cartoons and social media.
- The independent all wheel suspension keeps the stroller fairly pliant even on rocky trails. The ride is as smooth as can be in a stroller. Only a handful of luxury strollers have a slightly better ride. But they’re good only for the city and have 4 digit price tags.
- The Hand-Operated Brake is right on the handle and gives better control and confidence when jogging downhill. It can be placed anywhere on the handle and you can also tweak the braking power.
- Swivel Locking Front Wheel with remote: The stroller is surprisingly agile and maneuverable for a double. The three-wheel configuration is a big plus. The front wheel swivels and makes the stroller very easy to steer.
If you’re jogging or going over mostly straight paths, the front wheel can be locked in place.
In many strollers, the lever to lock/unlock the swivel is right above the wheel. If the parent wants to disengage swivel mode, she’d have to stop, lock the stroller in place by engaging the foot brake, go over to the front, engage the lever to lock the front wheel, go back, disengage the rear foot brake and then start strolling or jogging again. What a cumbersome affair!
Things are much easier in the Summit X3 as the parent/caregiver can lock/unlock the front wheel remotely via a lever placed on the handlebar.
- Seats Recline Independently to multiple positions: One kid can sit up while the other takes a nap. The seats can fall nearly fully flat and hence the stroller can be used from birth. However, it is recommended that you start jogging with it only after the babies are a little older and can support their head on their own.
- The seats have 5-point harnesses with shoulder pads for kids’ safety. Vents and retractable weather covers are also present for added convenience. The seat backs double up as storage compartments for things like books, tissues etc.
- UV50+ Canopies do indeed fall far forward and do a very good job of keeping the Sun, wind and other elements away from your little ones. Peek-a-boo windows allow parents to see their kids with ease!
- Quick Folding Technology enables the parent to fold the stroller up quickly and with relative ease. The approximate folded dimensions are 16 x 33 x 35 inches (height x width x length). This info could prove useful when determining whether or not it’ll fit in the trunk of your vehicle.
- Great for twins or two kids of close ages
- Very reliable, stupendous build
- Independent all-wheel suspension. Ride quality is splendid
- Wide range of original Baby Jogger accessories allow ample scope for customization (Child and parent trays, weather shield, glider board etc.)
- Performance oriented double jogger with rave reviews
- Pneumatic tires can take it almost anywhere
- Can be used from birth (with limitations)
- It’s not what you’d call compact but it just feels very nimble and eager to go.
The Summit X3 does not accept infant car seats to form a travel system. This is the biggest chink in this product’s otherwise almost unblemished armor. Some double strollers accept at least 1 infant car seat but the Summit X3 does not even do that.
- The handlebar is not height adjustable. This is not a problem for people who’re average height but if you’re too tall or short, you might find the ergonomics unpleasant.
- Not a ‘budget’ double stroller. It’s mid-range tending towards pricey.
- Next to no standard accessories. Even parent tray and cup holders need to be bought separately. Come on Baby Jogger!
- The stroller does not stand up on its own when folded. Many parents desire a ‘standing fold’.
The Baby Jogger Summit X3 is an excellent double jogging stroller but it’s hard to ignore the fact that it’s not compatible with infant car seats.
We believe that having features is one thing but the real measure of a product’s success is customer satisfaction. The Summit X3 does very well in this department. People who’re using it are saying only good things about it.
SNUGBABY SCORE: 89/100