Baby Trend Expedition Jogging Stroller Review
Baby Trend strollers are like Toyota Corollas and Honda Civics as they combine practicality, affordability and (relative) comfort into one well rounded package. The Baby Trend Expedition jogging stroller looks great, is sturdy and has just a hint of sportiness owing to the three wheel design. It does everything that it promises and in our view, that’s a good start.
Many parents shy away from jogging strollers as they are under the (false) impression that these are geared exclusively towards sports/jogging enthusiasts. Actually, these strollers are prized for their robust, all terrain bicycle wheels and maneuverability.
In many countries like India and Thailand, there are ‘rickshaws’ or ‘tuk-tuks’ that have an uncanny knack of carving out gaps through the mind boggling traffic, all owing to their clever three wheeled design and short turning radius.
Having been to South East Asia (Cambodia, Thailand, etc) the Expedition reminds me of these, except that the suspension in this stroller is way better!
The stroller is usable from 6 months all the way up to 50 pounds or 42 inches. It can be used from birth too, as it accepts infant car seats to form a travel system stroller. Please note that with the car seat, the otherwise front facing stroller transforms into a rear or parent-facing design. (Note: there's also a baby trend expedition jogger travel system available too)
Let’s find out if the Baby Trend Expedition Jogging Stroller stands up to its ‘Expedition’ tag.
- The Baby Trend Expedition Jogging Strolleris JPMA certified. It adheres to all safety and build quality regulations and standards. It is constructed around a lightweight yet rugged steel frame.
- The larger, spoked bicycle wheels offer a smooth ride over bumps, grass, dirt roads and even gravel.
- The front wheel swivels to aid handling in busy areas. It can be locked when going over straight paths or for jogging.
- If you live in a place where it snows, you will appreciate these wheels as other strollers with smaller wheels are practically unusable in snowy conditions.
Also, families that like to go out on picnics into the countryside will be thankful that they opted for this model. Many parents avoid going out much when the kids are little but having a lifestyle product such as this jogger makes things a LOT more easier and fun for all.
If you do end up going on long walks/jogs with this stroller, you’re definitely going to need a drink (or two).
The stroller has a parent tray with two cup holders and also a covered storage compartment for stuff like keys, cellphone etc.
At the front, there’s a child tray with two cup holders (This also acts as a rear base when installing an infant car seat onto the frame).
- Kids tend to be mouthy and parents are often worried about the quality of plastics that their little ones come into contact with. Baby Trend uses only BPA-free plastics to promote the well being of your kid as well as the environment.
- The ergonomically shaped, wide handle with rubber grips enables the parent/caregiver to steer this stroller with ease.
- Under the seat, there’s a large storage basket big enough for toys, snacks, an extra set of clothes, diapers and so on. We would’ve loved an adjustable handle but this one is fine for most people.
The padded seat can be reclined to multiple positions. It is fairly comfortable, although not outright luxurious. The kids seem to be okay in it for 60 to 90 minutes. After that, they get a little irritable.
- There’s an overhead canopy with a visor that can be adjusted to block out the Sun and wind. A peek-a-boo window allows the parent to keep an eye on the occupant.
- The stroller comes equipped with a fully adjustable 5-point safety harness and tether. This keep the occupant safe and secure. Other safety features include reflectors on the footrest to improve visibility in low lighting.
- The stroller is fairly easy to fold and has an effortless trigger mechanism for this purpose. It stores easily in the boot of most automobiles, including hatchbacks like the Kia Cee’d, VW Golf and so on.
- The stroller is available in a plethora of exciting colors such as Phantom, Tiger Lily, Bubble Gum, Optic Red, Liberty, Millennium, Lemon Zest, Topaz, Vanguard etc. Hence, even though this is a somewhat ubiquitous, top selling model, you can opt for your favorite color and ‘make it your own’.
The wheels are lockable to hold the stroller in place, even on slopes.
- The seat and especially the 5-point harness could have done with some extra padding. The seat is okay for about an hour but the harness is definitely missing out on cushioning.
- The handle, even though soft and wide, is not height-adjustable. This being a full size stroller, the handle height is okayish and should not cause back issues. However, this is now a common feature and should have been included.
- The wheels are the business end of this stroller – they’re what really shine through and make this a better proposition that your conventional 4 wheelers. However, the wheels require a bit of regular TLC. The air pressure needs to be maintained properly. If you go over dirt roads often, the spokes might bend and need straightening. This is all part and parcel of the deal. On the plus side though, the wheels are removable and this aids in storage.
- Baby Trend advertises that the stroller has compact fold. Well, compact is a subjective term. Although, the stroller fits in cars, it’s a bit clumsy for air travel.
Despite having a few small issues here and there, this stroller manages to impress with its eager attitude, phenomenal price to performance ratio and nifty steering ability.
While it can go off-road, we recommend that you do not use it for jogging over dirt roads and bumpy tracks as the front axle has had a history of going kaput.
Note: There have been a couple of incidents of the front wheel snapping right off. While such accidents are extremely rare, they can be avoided by getting a stroller that is slightly more premium and better built. Take a look at our other jogging stroller reviews for more options!
Overall, we REALLY like this one - for the price you really can't beat it. Learn more about it and check the current price at Amazon.com.
Snugbaby Score: 86/100
P.S. Need more than this? Check out the baby trend expedition jogger travel system, it's only a few bucks more (yes, really) and comes with a car seat!