Bugaboo Bee5 Review
When we first took a look at the Bugaboo Bee5 stroller, we thought that it’s just an over-hyped umbrella stroller! It looked cute rather than capable and being so minimalistic, we thought it barely had any features.
As we took a closer look at the Bee5, we were so astonished, our mouths kept getting wider and wider! We never expected such a lightweight stroller to give other models a run for their money.
By the time we were done reviewing the features, we came to the conclusion that the Bugaboo Bee5 is one of the best urban strollers out there. It just goes on to reiterate the saying that ‘good things come in small packages’
The Bugaboo is very light at under 20 pounds and even though it’s very compact, the toddler seat is actually quite roomy. In fact, the stroller has a highly sophisticated suspension so the ride quality is incredible!
Let’s see what makes the Bee5 so special.
Bugaboo Bee5 Features:
Usable From Day 1: Yes, the Bee5 can accept a bassinet and hence it’s perfectly safe for newborns. The bassinet attaches onto the stroller chassis via adapters – the process is super simple and takes mere seconds.
Note: The Bassinet is not included with the stroller.
- Compatible With Infant Car Seats: Some parents are not fans of the bassinet. They like to use infant car seats when they’re driving or strolling.
The Bugaboo Bee5 is compatible with car seats of several reputed brands such as Britax, Maxi Cosi, Cybex, Chicco and Nuna. This ensures that you and your baby can move about safely and conveniently.
Yes, you’ll need to purchase the infant car seat separately and also get the right adapters. Both the bassinet and the car seat go onto the frame in a rear facing arrangement. You baby always remains in your line of sight.
- Reversible Seat: Bet you didn’t expect that from something that looks like an umbrella stroller. We didn’t either. The seat on the Bee5 is really remarkable. It can be positioned in front facing or parent facing direction.
The toddler seat has a height adjustable back and an extendable seat. So it grows taller and longer along with your toddler. Even for smaller kids, the extended portion of the seat serves as a footrest and prevent the ends of their from dangling.
The seat can be reclined to several position in both – front and rear facing modes. It reclines a good way back to enable your little one to rest. The toddler seat is approved for children weighing up to 37.5 pounds.
There’s a padded 5-point safety harness and this being Bugaboo, it’s top quality. There’s a storage basket under the seat for supplies such as toys, food etc.
- The Best Ride In Town: The Bugaboo Bee5’s wheels are small and look unassuming. You’d never guess that the stroller features a highly advanced swivel wheel suspension system and a best-in-class dampening mechanism. Not only does this filter out bumps, it also eliminates vibrations!
The Bee5 rides very smoothly and will happily take on stretches of grass, gravel and even the odd cobblestoned street. It is no all-terrain stroller but it’s a highly capable urban stroller. It turns so readily, you can do slaloms with it (don’t try this with a toddler/baby on board).
Lightweight strollers have a very limited shelf life. Many parents love the convenience of a lightweight chassis but fear that the stroller will begin to squeak and creak after a couple of months of usage.
Don’t worry though, you’ll get plenty of mileage from the Bee5. After all, it comes with a 2 year warranty and 1 year extended warranty upon registration.
- Swivel-Locking Front Wheels: The wheels on the Bee5 are small but hardwearing. The front wheels swivel for extra maneuverability and can be locked for straight paths. We know that almost all strollers have this function but the nimble nature of this stroller is in a league of its own.
Any stroller with swivel wheels can turn on a dime but the smoothness with which the Bee5 does it is highly impressive.
A foot-operated rear brake parks the stroller in place securely when engaged.
- Adjustable Handlebar: The height adjustable handlebar with classy vegan leather grip ensures joyful rides without compromising on ergonomics. Say goodbye to back pain!
- SPF 50+ Sun Canopies: The canopy is adjustable depending upon the weather. It’s water repellent and protects the occupant from dust and the harmful UVA and UVB rays of the Sun.
All Bugaboo strollers come with a weather cover. A bit of rain can never dampen your baby’s spirits!
- One-Hand, One-Piece Fold: The Bee5 folds quickly and compactly in one piece, with just one hand. It can be folded with the toddler seat in front as well as rear facing position. It needs very little storage space and can be accommodated easily in the boots of most urban cars.
The compact fold, coupled with the lightweight frame make this stroller ideal for travelling.
- Unparalleled Safety & Quality: The Bugaboo Bee5 has undergone 1500 tests to ensure top-notch safety.
The functional buttons on the stroller are approved to be used up to 100.000 times. Bugaboo makes use of recycled materials wherever possible to reduce environmental impact.
- Birth to 37.5 pounds
- Compatible with infant car seats and bassinets
- Can be used for traveling
- All the features of a full-fledged stroller minus the extra bulk and weight
- Reversible and extendible seat adjusts to the growing needs of toddlers
- 3 Year warranty
- It’s affordable by Bugaboo’s standards
- Height adjustable handlebars
- Available in a wide range of exciting colors such as yellow, blue, black, grey, red, pink etc.
We thought long and hard and couldn’t come up with anything significant so we’ll just nitpick and say that it’s not an all-terrain stroller. It’s happy over smooth roads but still usable over short stretches of inhospitable terrain.
It’s hard to come across a stroller that’s capable of doing everything that the Bee5 does without weight twice as much.
We know that Bugaboos are expensive and we understand that not everybody wants to invest in a such a pricey product.
However, we still love’em as they are constantly keep pushing the envelope and are pioneers in stroller innovation and design.
The Bee5 is latest, most up-to-date model and it’s one hell of a city stroller. We highly recommend it.
SNUGBABY SCORE: 91/100