Bugaboo Donkey 2 Duo Review
In this post, we review the Bugaboo Donkey Duo/Bugaboo Donkey 2 Travel System Stroller.
Bugaboo is a pioneer in stroller innovation. The brand goes above and beyond to craft out some of the best strollers the world has ever seen.
For example: The Bugaboo Fox stroller is a Fast Company Innovation By Design Finalist. The same ingenious approach to design is also observed in the Bugaboo Donkey Duo. It’s is one the smartest, most-intuitive and versatile strollers that we’ve reviewed on this website.
The Donkey can be used either as a mono or duo, which means that it can accommodate one or two kids. When used as a double (duo), it converts into a tandem stroller and there’s no competition regarding who gets to ride in the front seat.
What’s really remarkable about the Donkey is the simplicity with which it can go from a single to a double. The process requires no special assembly and actually takes just three clicks.
Many other strollers too boast of being convertible into a double. More often than not, they are able to do so by sacrificing ergonomics – often, the seats are configured one behind the other and one of the kids rides too low to the ground.
In the Bugaboo Donkey Duo, everything feels very secure and seamless. Both kids are equally comfortable and the combo offers total peace of mind. The package consists of:
- The Bugaboo Donkey Stroller (can be used in mono or duo mode)
- The extension kit for duo mode (the second stroller seat)
- Rain cover
Bugaboo Donkey Duo Features:
- Infant to Toddler: The stroller is usable from birth as the bassinet is included. Mind you though, that the Donkey Duo comes with only one Bassinet. A second Bassinet can be attached to the frame but you’d have to purchase it separately or if you’re looking for a good deal, you’re better off getting the Bugaboo Donkey Twin – it includes everything you require for two kids. There’s two bassinets, two toddlers seats and so on.
We suggest that you be careful when ordering. The earlier model of the Donkey is capable of accommodating a toddler up to 37.5 lbs in the toddler seat. However, the toddler seat in the latest version can hold a kid weighing up to 50 lbs.
We recommend the Donkey Duo for two kids of slightly different ages. One kid can ride in the toddler seat while the bassinet can hold the infant.
For twins, however, we recommend the Donkey Twin!
Travel System Ready: The Donkey can accept infant car seats of most popular makes and models. These include Maxi Cosi, Chicco, Nuna etc. Please make sure to get the right car seat adapter.
- Advanced Suspension: The Donkey has one of the most advanced suspension setups found on strollers. It literally just glides over minor obstacles such as speed bumps. The ride quality is indeed something to speak of. Your kids will LOVE it!
We’ve reviewed tens of strollers – from 30 dollar umbrella strollers to luxury strollers with price tags big enough to give people heart attacks. We’ve come to notice that words like ‘advanced suspension’, ‘great ride quality’ are used pretty loosely.
We know from experience that some feel like they’ll fall apart and literally become unhinged after about a year of use. The Donkey Duo comes with a 3 year warranty. That’s about the same as you get on a brand new automobile.
The commitment to quality and customer satisfaction is really commendable.
- Never Flat Foam Filled Wheels: The highly durable wheels, coupled with the sophisticated suspension, enable you and your kids to go on adventures without worrying too much about the terrain.
The stroller can go over grass, sand, gravel and even snow without breaking a sweat. Other strollers can also do this but they usually have bicycle tires that are vulnerable to punctures. The wheels on the Donkey never go flat and you do not need to pump them with air from time to time.
Parents with two kids already have their plates quite full and not having to bother about wheel maintenance is a big plus.
The two front wheels have a swivel locking mechanism. This stroller is a joy to push and maneuver. You’ll have a big smile on your face every time you take it out for a spin.
- Reversible Toddler Seats: Each seat can be arranged in a parent facing or forward facing position. Both seats recline to three positions – kids can sit up or nap depending upon how tired/curious they’re feeling.
Each seat is equipped with a very comfortable yet very secure 5-point safety harness. Ratcheting SPF 50+ Sun canopies keep the Sun and other elements out. The weather cover is quite handy if it rains or snows.
There are two types of storage compartments. Underneath the seats is a 28 litre storage basket and when used as a mono, there’s space for an additional 18 litre storage bag right next to the toddler seat. Both compartments can hold up to 22 lbs of luggage.
Even when used as a double, the Donkey can pass through most doorways with ease. This is important (parents who’ve been stuck at a doorway know how frustrating and time consuming it is to disassemble the stroller, go through the doorway and then put it back together once again. Phew!)
- Compact, Standing Fold: The Bugaboo Donkey Duo folds pretty quickly and when folded, it can stand on its own. This gives parents time to tuck in the kids in the car, load supplies into the boot etc.
- Height Adjustable Handlebar: People of varying heights can push the stroller while maintaining a good, healthy posture.
- Very Safe: Just like all Bugaboo products, the Donkey Duo has undergone 1500 tests to make sure that it’s extremely safe for your kids to ride in it.
- Indisputable quality
- 3 year warranty
- Use of recycled plastics and hence, environmentally friendly
- Self standing fold
- The most complete stroller for 2 kids
- Reversible seats
- Suspension. Wheels never go flat
- Could have at least included a parent tray and cup holders for the price
We’re pretty sure that you’ll get amazing mileage from you Bugaboo Donkey Duo.
Yes, it’s expensive but considering that it’s a double (or single) stroller usable from birth and has a warranty of 3 years, it’s the only stroller you’ll need. Better to get one good stroller than upgrading every year.
SNUGBABY SCORE: 90/100