The Chicco Viaro Travel System hits the elusive trifecta of quality, convenience and affordability. It includes a Viaro stroller, the Chicco Keyfit 30 infant car seat and the car seat base.
What we really love about this travel system is that it is a complete birth to toddler solution. It is suitable for moving about on foot or by car.
Parents don’t need to upgrade after 1 or 2 years (unless a new member joins the family). Most importantly, thanks to a solid build, the travel system guarantees plenty of mileage.
The stroller has a three-wheeled design for ease of steering. Actually, it has two rear wheels and two smaller front wheels on a single axle. This gives it the maneuverability of a three-wheeler while retaining the stability of a conventional four wheel configuration.
The Chicco Keyfit 30 is one the most popular and safe infant car seats in America. It clicks in securely onto the stroller in a rear-facing position to facilitate parent-child bonding. Both, the stroller as well as the car seat are loaded with features. Let’s take a closer look
Chicco Viaro Travel System Features:
- Lightweight Aluminum Frame: The Chicco Viaro stroller is built upon a super-light Aluminum frame. Aluminum is more affordable compared to steel. It also weighs about 67% less and is corrosion-resistant. It has a very good strength to weight ratio and it’s the reason why despite being a full-size stroller that can accommodate a kid weighing up to 50 lbs, the Viaro itself weighs a mere 18 lbs!
- All Wheel Suspension: The Viaro has a smooth and plush ride thanks to an all-wheel suspension setup. The front wheel swivels for enhanced maneuverability.
The wheels are made out of durable plastics. This keeps the weight low and unlike pneumatic tires, there’s no fear of punctures. The stroller has been designed for use on paved/smooth roads but it can tackle a bit of grass and gravel if and when required.
The toe-tap brakes located at the rear ensure that the stroller can be parked securely.
- Adjustable Seat: The Viaro’s seat is equipped with a 5-point safety harness and reclines to several positions to allow the occupant to sit up or rest. The canopy too, ratchets to protect the toddler/baby from the elements.
When the infant car seat is mounted onto the stroller, the canopy falls neatly over the car seat and can envelope the infant complete if that’s what the parent wants.
- One Hand, Self-Standing Fold: The stroller is very easy to fold and unfold. There’s a button and a pull-strap tucked away neatly under the toddler seat. It folds with just one hand and stands independently once folded. This gives parents time to install the infant seat back into the car, load the luggage into the boot and so on.
As the stroller is very light, it’s fairly easy to lift. Also, unlike bulky strollers, the Viaro doesn’t need a huge amount of storage room.
- Convenient Storage: There’s a storage basket underneath the stroller seat for diaper bags, toys and such. There’s also a small storage compartment in the parent tray. Unfortunately, it’s not covered.
- Parent & Child Trays: Chicco has been thoughtful enough to include a removable child tray with cup holders. Other things such as the padded handlebar and a parent tray with beverage holders are also a nice touch.
These accessories are very useful and they’re not standard even in some very expensive luxury strollers. For example: Consider a parent bending to fetch a drink from a bag stowed away in the storage basket versus just lifting it out of the cup holder.
- Chicco KeyFit 30 Car Seat: Holds newborns weighing between 4 to 30 pounds and up to 30 inches in height.
The seat comes with removable head and body supports so that even an infant weighing just 4 lbs can be positioned safely and comfortably. This is especially important as newborns do not have enough neck strength to hold their head up independently.
- ReclineSure: A spring loaded leveling mechanism makes the seat base easy to install at the right angle. Additional car seat bases are also available for sale separately so that the car seat can be easily transferred from one vehicle to the other without having to remove and install the base each and every time.
- RideRight Bubble Levels: These help to verify that the base has been positioned properly. The car seat’s carry handle can be set to two positions and comes with a comfortable hand grip. The seat locks on to the base via a secure click-in attachment. It can be removed from the base using just one hand.
The base is further equipped with a SuperCinch feature that enables the caregiver to install it tightly and securely without applying excessive force. The vehicle LATCH system features premium connectors for added strength and stability.
- One-Pull Harness: The car seat is fitted with a 5-point harness for child’s safety. It can be adjusted by pulling just one strap to achieve a snug and secure fit. Usually newborns don’t like getting in the car seat and it’s a pain having to fiddle with the harness while also comforting the child. The one-pull mechanism does away with all this hassle.
The car seat is easy to maintain. Fabrics are machine-washable as long as parents pick a delicate cycle. The plastics can be cleaned with a sponge soaked in warm water and a mild soap.
- Infant to toddler
- Usable from day one
- The stroller and car seat are made for each other. No need to purchase any third party adapters. Fast and secure ‘click-in’ attachment
- Stroller folds with one hand and stands independently
- The Keyfit 30 is a proven, highly acclaimed model. It’s been around for over a decade a reason
- Child and parent tray with cup holders
- Lightweight. Stroller weighs just 18 lbs while the car seat weighs 17 lbs.
- Three-wheel design - highly maneuverable
- The handlebar on the Chicco Viaro stroller is not height adjustable but this is not a problem for parents who are of an average height.
- It’s not an all-terrain stroller
- Does not come with an adjustable footrest (The Chicco Liteway has this feature)
Chicco Viaro Travel System Review & Final Verdict:
The Chicco Viaro travel system is agile, compact, feature-laden and most importantly, safe. It has next to no faults and given its impressive build quality and Chicco’s reliability, we are more than happy to give it a big thumbs-up!
SNUGBABY SCORE: 96/100
For more reviews of The Best Chicco Strollers, check out the following:
Chicco liteway stroller
Chicco keyfit caddy
Chicco Viaro Travel System
Chicco Cortina CX Travel System
Chicco Cortina Together Double Stroller
Chicco Mini Bravo Plus
Chicco Bravo LE
Chicco Bravo LE Trio Travel System
Chicco Mini Bravo Plus Travel System